Hydrogen Cars land at Lydiard Park
Date: Wednesday 23 August 2017
Location: Luxborough Room, Lydiard House, Lydiard Park
Hydrogen Hub invites businesses and the public to the Hydrogen Hub Car Showcase. Taking place on Wednesday 23 August the event will feature a variety of hydrogen vehicles displayed in the beautiful surroundings of Lydiard Park. All attendees will have the unique opportunity to learn about the latest cutting edge, green technology on the vehicle market.
A business focused event in the morning between 10.30 and 13.30 will explore the benefits of hydrogen vehicles and funding opportunities, with the opportunity to also ride in and explore the vehicles. Tickets are available from Eventbrite registration page .
Members of the public will also have access to the Hydrogen Hub Car Showcase in the afternoon from 14.00 to 17.00.
Representatives from companies in Swindon currently using hydrogen cars will be available to share their experiences; including Arval, the National Trust, Nationwide and the Science Museum Group.
Clare Jackson, Hydrogen Hub Manager:
“We are very excited to offer the opportunity to businesses and the public to test and learn about this amazing technology. We hope the event will raise awareness and help drive investment in hydrogen and fuel cell technology on a local and national scale.”
Hydrogen vehicles emit zero CO2, NOx, SOx and particulates. These cars from Toyota and Hyundai Motor were brought to Swindon under an OLEV (Office for Low Emissions Vehicles) funding scheme.
Other cars like Riversimple’s Rasa will also be on display at the event.
Media contact: Laura Blaj +44(0) 121 709 5587
Notes to editor:
- Hydrogen Hub Car Showcase takes place on Wednesday 23 August at Luxborough Room, Lydiard House in Lydiard Park, Tregoze, SN5 3PA
- These cars are part of the Hydrogen Hub project which promotes the uptake of hydrogen and fuel cell technologies in Swindon and aims to establish the town as a global centre of excellence for the technology.
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles offer the low carbon green credentials of battery electric vehicles but with the user experience benefits of petrol diesel and count the likes of Jeremy Clarkson and James May amongst their fans. https://www.driving.co.uk/news/britains-clean-fuel-shame-uk-fallen-hydrogen-car-race/ (The Sunday Times Driving) http://uk.businessinsider.com/grand-tour-star-james-may-why-hydrogen-cars-make-sense-2016-11 (James May for Business Insider UK)
- Fuel cell vehicles take 3 minutes to refill and have a range of 300 miles.
- The benefits of this technology are recognised by the UK Government and as such there is a new funding competition that will enable further companies to access the cars. There will be information at the event as to how Swindon businesses can get involved in the next phase of cars.
- The Mirai is Toyota’s first zero emissions hydrogen fuel-powered car. Taking its name from the Japanese word for “future”, Mirai is a conventional four-door saloon, powered by the Toyota Fuel Cell System, which brings together fuel cell and hybrid technologies. The system is more energy efficient than internal combustion engines and emits no CO2 or pollutants when the vehicle is driven. If offers the same convenience as a conventional car, with a generous cruising range and a refuelling time of around three minutes.
- Hyundai Motor is a pioneer in zero emission fuel cell technology and it was the first manufacturer to make a fuel cell vehicle commercially available to the UK market back in October 2014. To date, it has sold 15 cars in the UK and 500 across Europe. That is more than all other brands offering Fuel Cell combined. An all-new fuel cell vehicle will be introduced in 2018.